MAKING IT EASIER FOR YOU
Flexible Meeting Locations
No stuffy waiting rooms, long drives, or parking difficulties. Meetings are by phone, by videoconference, or at a location convenient to you (in Austin, TX).
Every call, text, and email receives a prompt response directly from me within 1 business day. It’s easier to deliver personal service without a call center or gatekeeper.
Family and Friends Welcome
It is OK if you feel vulnerable and want an additional pair of eyes on our work. I am comfortable with you involving a child, sibling, or trusted friend in our meetings.
My interests extend beyond picking investments and monitoring your net worth. I care about my clients and always strive to deliver service I would want family or friends to receive.
My role does not include judging your past decisions, but using that as the building materials for the future. Your questions are valid and will be answered until you feel comfortable making decisions.
Motivating people with fear tactics may work in the short-term but it cannot last. A good relationship shows you opportunities and possibilities, and new perspectives and ways of looking at things.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
III Financial (pronounced “Three Financial”) comes from a couple of different places. The obvious one is a personal one – I’m named after my dad Elliott Weir, Jr., which makes me a “third”.
The other reason is because of a writing concept called the “Rule of Three“. It suggests that things presented in threes are more satisfying or effective than when presented in other numbers. The Latin phrase, “omne trium perfectum” (everything that comes in threes is perfect) conveys the same idea. When reading through this website, see how many times concepts or ideas are presented in groups of three – it just makes things clearer!
By working with a limited number of clients, a physical office is an unnecessary waste for my firm. Why should I create high overhead costs only to give you the “luxury” of wasting time in traffic to meet? Instead, we can meet where it is convenient to you, and even via teleconferencing if you want!
III Financial, LLC is a registered investment advisor (RIA) with the state of Texas Securities Board. I can take on new clients residing anywhere in the United States.
In order to fully address the client’s financial needs, I often identify areas that should be addressed by other professionals such as a CPA or attorney. I am more than happy to provide referrals to clients when assistance is needed.
I do not require my clients to work with specific professionals, especially if there is an existing relationship. In those instances, I will contact the other professionals (with your permission) to establish a dialogue with them.
I do not accept nor pay any referral fees to the professionals I recommend – it is based solely on my confidence in them to provide quality service to you.
There are a lot of different ideas on the “right way” to invest money for the future. Over the years I’ve studied active investing vs. passive investing, investing in the USA versus abroad, investment techniques of the Ivy League endowments, and countless other strategies and theories. Though managing investments can be complicated, there are a few key tenets that I incorporate into the portfolios I manage:
- Stock market forecasts, “hot stock tips”, and other predictions serve no purpose to a prudent investor.
- Portfolios should be designed using proven evidence on how markets behave, allowing the markets to work for you.
- Investment expenses should be minimized to keep more money in the investor’s pocket (but “cheapest” is not always best!)
- Helping investors stay disciplined in the face of fear and greed adds significant value.
III Financial does not take custody of your funds. They are held at custodians who are insured by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). All of your assets are held in your name or in entities you created (i.e. trusts). Neither the custodian nor III Financial can distribute money from your accounts without your permission and knowledge. Please note that your investments can and will fluctuate in value based on the investments made.
The media has put the spotlight on the value of having your adviser be a “fiduciary” – the legal and ethical obligation to put your interests first. For some companies, the new Department of Labor rules have required significant changes to their business practices, compensation, and relationships with their clients.
Adhering to this higher fiduciary standard is nothing new for me – I have always had this high standard in place for all of my clients.
This means that my sole focus is on your financial needs and goals, and how I can best help you reach them.
III FINANCIAL SERVICE PLANS
Every III Financial client gets advice on all of their investment accounts. Advice comes without the conflicts of a product sale, and includes keeping the accounts properly invested. You have on-line access to view your investments at any time, and III Financial NEVER holds your assets directly (there is a third-party called a custodian that does that). Strategies to reduce the taxes you owe will be used whenever possible.
Gold Plan – Basic Planning
The Gold Plan covers common financial planning needs, including:
- Evaluating the risks you face*. Whether it be the loss of your ability to make money or the loss of your own life, unexpected life events can cause major financial hardship. Medical needs, whether short-term or long-term in nature, can drain a lifetime of savings. We will go over risks you can get rid of and make sure you are not overinsured nor underinsured.
- Answering some sophisticated investment questions. What do you do with an IRA that you inherited? When do you have to take money out of it and how much? Also, how do you figure out what to do with stock options given to you or a loved one?
- Maximizing your income. How do you get the most out of your (and possibly former spouse’s) Social Security benefit? How do you effectively create the income you need? How much can you safely spend without too much risk of running out of money?
Platinum Plan – Advanced Planning
The Platinum Plan builds on the Gold Plan and covers even more complicated financial planning questions, including:
- Handling trust accounts (either your own or inherited ones);
- Gifting money in ways that most benefit you and those receiving the gift;
- Saving more money in taxes for those with enough assets to justify the use of certain strategies; and
- Utilizing more sophisticated ways to C.Y.A. (cover your assets, of course).